Friday, August 29, 2014






This summer, I was commissioned by Faith Presbyterian Church of Baton Rouge, Louisiana to paint a mural on the side of their office building. My family knew the pastor, an he thought it would be a great idea for me to contribute my art skills to their community. They wanted me to recreate a scene from The Chronicles of Narnia books, more specifically a scene from the third book where the character Eustace is turned into a dragon, and Aslan the lion transforms him back into a boy by clawing his skin off and dunking him in a pool of water. It was pretty challenging, but it was a cool scene to paint nonetheless, and  I had a lot of fun doing this! Granted, it was always 100+ degrees outside and I was sometimes painting in direct sunlight, but I think it was a good experience for me. It's definitely the biggest painting I've ever done. Thankfully, some volunteers from the church even helped me paint the background colors and block all the shapes in. Many weeks of planning went into this, and the actual painting took about a week total. Unfortunately, I had to fly back to Baltimore for college before I could finish this, but it was finished-looking enough that I felt it was a good stopping point. I plan to work on it a little more when I go back to Baton Rouge for break. For now, the pastor and all the other church members like it the way it is.
Here are some progress shots and a photo of the (almost finished) piece! Sorry if the pictures are a little low quality. I had to take these with my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment